Monday, November 10, 2008

Traveling Times

So, we got brave and decided to take Zachary on his first big road trip. Zachary's Aunt Jamie's brother was getting married in Henderson, where Kyle and I went to school, so we went to the wedding. Zachary had been suffering from a cold all week, but was clearing up pretty well by Friday, so we thought he'd be okay to go.

We left Chattanooga about 1:00 on Friday afternoon and traveled with Grandmommy and Grandpa (Daddy had to work). Cousin Matthew (19 mos.) also rode with us last minute because Aunt Jamie was not feeling well. (Daddy, Aunt Jamie, and Uncle Kevin met up with us Saturday). Zachary fell asleep pretty soon into the trip but only slept about 20 minutes then woke wide awake! I thought for sure he'd be fussy. But he just sat and looked around. Eventually he fell back asleep for about an hour until we made it to Dickson, on the other side of Nashville. We stopped and ate at Ruby Tuesday and the boys were both soooo good! Then we continued on to Huntington, where we were staying the night with our friends Aaron and Jenny Dodson. We only had to stop one more time so I could nurse Zachary and made it in about 7:00. We got there, got the Pack-n-Plays set up and got the boys ready for bed. This was Zachary's first night sleeping away from home ever, and the first time I would be sleeping in the room with him. I had no clue how he'd do, but he slept all night long-8 hours! I was so proud (and relieved!)

The next morning we got up and played a little and started packing up to finish toward Henderson for the wedding. Matthew had to be there early for some pictures. Zachary was so well behaved being away from home and not having all his familiar things. I nursed him before the wedding and we got him asleep for his afternoon nap about an hour before the wedding started. Right as Kristen, the bride, was getting ready to walk down the aisle, Zachary stirred and I had to rush him out of the auditorium before we ruined her big moment! But I got him back asleep quickly and we went back in and sat with Brittany and baby Hudson, who is 20 days younger than Zachary.

After the wedding I went and pumped while Kyle showed Zachary off. Then we headed over to the Hardeman House for the reception. This was special taking Zachary there because that is where I met Kyle for the very first time, and where I had my candlelighting after he proposed to me. Zachary was good during the reception and didn't even wake up crying to eat right away (for once!) We left the recption a little early so that we could start getting ready for our long trip back to Chattanooga. This time, Daddy rode with us while cousin Matthew rode with his Mommy and Daddy. Zachary traveled well again, but got a little fussy, as he was getting hungry and tired. We stopped in Dickson again, this time at Cracker Barrell and ate. We got Zachary ready for bed and I nursed him before we left. He fell sound asleep nursing and went straight to his carseat without stirring at all. He slept the whole way home and we only rocked him a few minutes when we got in to transition him from the carseat back to his bed. He slept through the night again! But we were all so tired from the trip we stayed home from church the next morning. It was a good thing, too, because Zachary slept away almost the entire day!

No comments: