Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Visit to South Carolina

Last Thursday night (or super early Friday morning, however you want to look at it) we traveled to SC to visit my Mom. Since Kyle works until midnight we just left then since we thought it would be best to travel through the night with Zachary. Mom & Dads house is about a 4 hour trip, but if you've ever traveled with a baby you know everything takes longer. So by the time we arrived it was almost morning. Z did pretty well on the trip and ended up sleeping most of the way, like we had hoped. However, once we arrived at about 5:30 he had no intentions of going back to sleep! But that was okay since he got to see his Gram for a bit before she had to leave.....See, there was a reason for our trip. About a year ago my Mom started having a lot of health problems, among them anemia, severe back pain, and on top of that and several other things was diagnosed with lukiemia. They told her it was the "good kind" and that there was really no need to treat it at the time. (Did I mention she told me all of this right after I told her I was pregnant?! Talk about an emotional roller-coaster!) Anyway, a year has passed and now they have decided to try and treat it with Chemo. She goes every 3 weeks on Fridays, and is about half-way through her treaatments. Well, my Dad is in England doing mission workand would not be there to take Mom to her treatment last weekend. So...Kyle and I got to planning and he arranged to take a day off work so we could travel down and be there for her over the weekend in case she got sick. Plus it gave her time to spend with Zachary. (He has not been able to see her much, since Mom is not up for much traveling right now). So Friday Kyle took Mom up to the hospital while Zachary and I stayed at home trying to catch up on sleep. Mom was through by about 4:00 and was feeling okay so we went out for Japanese that night.

On Saturday, Kyle had to return back to Chattanooga to work, while Z and I stayed in SC. We got to visit with my brother, his wife, and their kids Thomas Andrew, Gabrielle, and Evan. Thomas and Gabby are 9 and 10, respectively, and Evan is 15 months old. So they got to play with their cousin and Zachary was so good for his aunt Yulia.

By Sunday, Mom was feeling AWFUL, so we stayed at home all day and helped her out day. Zachary celebrated his 7 month birthday that night by waking up every hour screaming....oh, how we missed Daddy that night! By Monday, Mom was feeling much better and was back at school (she is a middle school teacher) so Zachary and I went to go see my good friend from High school, Kim, and her little boy Ethan, who is almost 9 months old. We met for lunch, let the boys play for a bit (Ethan is crawling and going everywhere and Zachary just watched him!) and then we took the boys and her doggies on an afternoon walk (it was almost 85 degrees out there!). North Augusta has a beautiful, shaded walking path that is about 7 miles long and stretches throughout the city. I used to love going on walks on it in high school. One of the starting points is right by Kim's house. After the walk, we returned home to cool off and go meet Daddy. Kyle was back to bring us home Monday evening, and again, we were going to travel through the night so Zachary would sleep.....well, it worked until about half way on our trip. Then the screaming began....UGH. We stopped several times to console him, but every time we got back in the car, it started again. He finally quit and fell asleep about 45 minutes from home and didn't even stir when we moved him from his carseat to his crib. Found out the next day why he was screaming.....Tooth #2 has arrived. FINALLY!

Zachary and Ethan
***OK...so, anyone who wants to coach me in uploading pictures on here, I'm all yours!***

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I can try to help but I am not that great either!